Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Super heroes: Comics vs Movies

We like super heroes now, don't we? Love 'em, actually. They of course originated in comic books, in 1938, with Superman. Then Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, etc. Finally, though, after decades of paper super heroes, we have celluloid ones:


These really float my boat! My favorite childhood characters alive on screen! I think these films are even better than the comics. They have a beginning, middle, and end. I can get in and out feeling satisfied. Don't have to wait next month for the resolution! Nicer visuals, too. Not that there aren't stinkers: Punisher and Ghost Rider, for example (I like the sequels though).


 But some of the movies absolutely bury their comic counter parts: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spiderman, X-Men First Class, Man of Steel. Give me well made movies any day!


I think it's great that the movie studios use the source material and change it to make a great film. As long as the movie is great, who cares if they change some things?


Sure, Watchmen had a different ending. But we didn't need a giant alien in the streets, did we? Let them do what they want. If they want to make Human Torch black, go for it. Give it a chance.


Yes, Superman killed Zod. So what? He did it in the comic, too. And the movie was one of the best super hero movies ever made. Stop laughing, now. You know it's true.

Marvel turned out one heck of a good movie in 2014. Captain America: Winter Soldier was fantastic! It had a plot! And action!


Thanks, Marvel Studios. This is what comics used to be: Fun. I'm looking forward to what's coming up. X-Men: Apocalypse, Fantastic Four, and the rest. And not to mention Warner Bros. with Batman vs Superman! So much good stuff to wait for.
(Please excuse the rant. I think I'm bitter after Marvel destroyed Gwen Stacy's memory in that awful "Sins of the Past" story. )

So my point is this: Enjoy the movies! I know I do. Even if the plot isn't so good, at least they look like this:


That right there makes it worth watching. After all, movies are a visual medium. They leave the old comics in the dust.


Bye bye!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment