Saturday, October 25, 2014

Monsters and Me

Monsters have long fascinated me. As a four-year old, I found Godzilla stomping around on Saturday afternoons. Then there was Gamera, King Kong, and whatever other giant freak was on the boob tube. As I got older, serial killers, zombies, and demons took their place in the throne room of my mind. I grew out of that, but I still enjoy a good-ol' monster flick.



There's something about monsters that excites us. Whether it's a Great Old One, a Sasquatch, or a kaiju, we want to see things that come from "elsewhere". The desire for something away from the mundane.


Perhaps monsters remind us of the evil within us, or of the conflict we have with darkness. A two-sided coin with Jekyll on one side, and Hyde on the other. We do battle with our own flesh, and it's much more entertaining if it looks like Cthulu or Chronos than you or me.


There is a war in each of us, even if we don't want to admit it. To do the good, or to do the bad. To be the monster, or be the saint. Maybe I'm thinking too much, having listened to the news this week. Terrorists, police brutality, baby-killers, Ted Cruz. Real-life monstrosities. Maybe film reflects all this, or maybe it's just fun watching a million-ton behemoth squash a few cities.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment