Saturday, November 1, 2014

Science: the god of the 21rst century?

I like science. I like learning about what scientists have discovered. I like the technology I'm using to write this. But I think that at this time in Western history, some folks see science with a capital 'S'. As in Science. Or even SCIENCE. The word has become a noun, a proper noun, even a celebrity. People look to Science to solve the world's ills. But science is a method, a discipline, not a savior.


I like science, what the discipline has discovered. Geology can tell me how old a rock is, astronomy can tell me about the stars, zoology tells me about my cat, and pharmacology heals my headache. But these are things that people discovered, using the abilities given to them. Atheists and others poke fun at the Christian's "blind faith", but they have deified and placed faith in their own work. They have turned "Science" into a god.


Science cannot save the soul. It is a tool, meant to be used properly. It was not intended to bludgeon people's beliefs. Can we have faith in something that changes constantly? Shouldn't our faith be placed in something immutable? Science isn't God; God is God.
Having said that, is science our enemy? Not at all. God gave us dominion over the creation. Even if one doesn't believe the book of Genesis, it is obvious we are the kings of the earth. No other animal is quite like us.



Next time, we will look at what Genesis says, what God told Adam to do, and what my thoughts are on it.

2 comments:

  1. Isaac Newton and many great minds of the past were men of faith. Good science and Theology walk hand in hand. The book of Job is filled with scientific facts we've just come discover within the last 100 years.

    ReplyDelete